Control Function of Management
Controlling is a function in the management cycle closely related to planning. Controlling is a six-step process that involves several systematic approaches to ensure performance standards are met in the most efficient way possible. While controlling is a complicated management function, its importance must not be under-rated.[ad#ad-4]
- Establish performance standards. Performance standards give employees an idea of what is expected of them and tells them how you assess their performance. This is key to maintain management control.
- Conduct a job analysis and create a job description for each position within the company. Give feedback regularly and give annual performance appraisals. This makes the employee aware of her individual strengths and weaknesses.
- Monitor and measure performance. Draw up a new business plan and assess current performance against expectations. Refocus the efforts of managers, employees and stakeholders as needed.
- Compare your measured performance against established standards. If anticipated performance is below average, take preventive corrective actions to ensure compliance to specified performance standards before a problem occurs.
- Take corrective action. This is often a difficult aspect of the controlling function of management. When problems arise, handle the situations fast and efficiently. Ignoring a challenging situation only makes things worse.
- Practice preventative methods like coaching in order to avoid corrective action. Coaching allows for consistent feedback from management. It also helps train employees on a daily basis and eliminates the need for severe corrective action except in extreme circumstances.
Consider using the benchmark method of monitoring and measuring performance. Benchmarking is a technique that compares your performance to the performance of others in your sector.
Written by: eHow
We also suggest this relevant article if you have time: 4 basic functions of management
Some other similar articles
Tagged as basic functions of management, business control, control function of management, controlling, management + Categorized as Business, Economy articles, Ladership & Management