Organizational Configurations by Henry Mintzberg
Henry Mintzberg, is a prominent theorist in management and according to his theory, the interplay of organization’s strategy is solely responsible for the growing structure of organization, also for all kind of environmental forces that occurs and definitely the organizational structure. The success and the failure of the organization to a large extent depends on the Mintzberg’s Organizational Configurations i.e. if the mentioned characteristics complement each other properly then the organizations are likely to do well and if the strategies do not fit well, the organizations will have to suffer severe losses.[ad#ad-4]
According to Mintzberg’s Organizational Configurations, there exist basic pulls of every organization i.e. varied structures provoke from the various forces, that help them to shape up and also from the distinct features of organizations. Mintzberg’s Organizational Configurations can help one understand the organization’s structure better and make modifications accordingly.
Mintzberg’s Organizational Types:
These are the primarily successful company’s structures that he identified:
- Entrepreneurial organization
- Bureaucracy or machine organization
- Professional organization
- Diversified or divisional organization
- Adhocracy or innovative organization
- Entrepreneurial Organization has very simplified and flat structure containing only one big unit with one or just few high profiled managers. It is basically lack of standardized systems that makes the company flexible and also unstructured and informal in competition to other varied types of organization.
- Machine Organization or Bureaucracy is truly defined by the company’s standard. A formal working environment followed by routine and daily procedures, central decision making and grouping of targets by the functional department defines bureaucracy.
- Professional Organization is again bureaucratic but the only difference with the machine organization is its high dependence on the highly skilled trained professionals who ask for controlling of the work.
- Diversified Organization occurs when a company possesses more than one product line and business units.
- Innovative Organization is defined as the organization, where a company needs to innovate for survival and also work on the ad hoc.
Written by: Matt
We also suggest this relevant article if you have time: Ten Management Roles by Henry Mintzberg
Some other similar articles
Tagged as adhocracy, bureaucracy, dependence, distinct features, divisional organization, entrepreneurial organization, environmental forces, extent, flat structure, functional department, henry mintzberg, innovative organization, interplay, machine organization, organizational structure, professional organization, severe losses, successful company, theorist, working environment + Categorized as Economy articles, Ladership & Management